How to apply
Potential visitors may apply for a period of (normally) up to six months during the academic year. Visiting scholars must be fluent in English.
Due to logistic constraints, we can only welcome one visitor at a time. Applications are processed on a rolling basis.
Please make sure to file your application at least one semester before the preferred visiting period. Feel free to contact ACLE researchers before filing your application.
The application should be sent to us via the Contact us button here with the email subject “ACLE Visiting Scholar - Application”.
Required application materials:
- A motivation letter including a brief description of your current position and research area, an indication of the period you would like to visit ACLE, as well as whether you need a formal invitation to travel (e.g. for visa purposes)
- CV including your publication list and an emphasis on your key publications
- A one-page description of your research plans for the visiting period, including the link with (one or several of) ACLE’s research clusters
ACLE visiting scholars enjoy:
- Access to the University library, containing over four million publications, 12,000 journals and vast online resources
- UvA internet and mail account
- Invitations to participate in all ACLE seminar series and other ACLE events
- Working space – Note: Own laptop required. Provided working station will include monitor, keyboard and mouse.
- Supervision by ACLE researchers (for visiting junior researchers only)
The opportunity to present their research in the ACLE seminar series
Visitors are expected to:
- Actively engage in ACLE activities
- Pay a monthly fee of EUR 85 administrative purposes (Waivers can be offered in special circumstances)
- Mention ACLE in any publications resulting from or having worked on during their stay
Follow the faculty regulations, including in any case the regulations on research data management and research integrity
Accommodation in Amsterdam:
Prospective Visiting Fellows should note that the Faculty of Law at the Universiteit van Amsterdam cannot provide reserved accommodation nor, due to limited resources, is it in a position to act as agent, or intermediary, in the context of an individual applicant’s search for accommodation. However, Visiting Fellows will be put in touch with the University’s Housing Office or a similar organisation, which may be of assistance in securing affordable accommodation in the city of Amsterdam or the surrounding areas for the duration of their stay.
Library access for (short stay) ACLE visitors
Information for (international) visitors who wish to access the Amsterdam Law School library or other University of Amsterdam libraries during their time in Amsterdam can be found on the central UvA Library website in detail here.